Wednesday 17 June 2009

Celeb City Guide: JD's Los Angeles

The celebrity personal trainer from Bravo's "Workout" chats about a few of his favorite, local places, events and things.

Jd-jordan Name: Jesse (JD) Jordan
Age: 27
Profession: Massage Therapist / Personal Trainer (Bravo's "Workout")
City: Los Angeles
Relationship Status: Single
Sexuality: Gay

What is the best date you ever had in L.A.?

The best date I have ever been on was also one of the most inexpensive. I picked up my very cute date and headed to the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. We went to a small Italian restaurant off Ocean and 3rd. After dinner which just happened to be around the time that the Prop 8 protest were going on, we walked towards the pier where there was a demonstration. We actually participated in the protest spontaneously and held hands. After the protest we walked down to the pier, played air hockey in the arcade and had alot of laughs. It was a spectacular first date.

What are some of the things you love most about Los Angeles?

After moving back from New York I definitely have a new found appreciation for things I took for granted in Los Angeles. Although traffic can be bad in the city, I love driving through Mulholland with my windows down and escaping the chaos. I love that the city can feel so casual; t-shirt and jeans is acceptable in most places, Starbucks becomes the watering hole for many entertainment people, and every once in awhile you will be at Whole Foods standing next to a Debra Messing or Reese Witherspoon.

What are some of your least favorite things about it?

Some of the worst things about LA are some of the most obvious. It can be congested with bad traffic and pollution. People also have the tendency to be only about the exterior, your jeans can be a status symbol, materialism takes over substance. You can find this anywhere but LA can be at the top of the list. If you are gay, it seems as though you must have it all. The newest Audi, the best job -- if you are in "THE BIZ" all the better, CUSTOM MODERN home in the hills (Sunset Plaza), and look 10 years younger than you are.

Jd-jordan-1 What L.A. area gym do you like most?

This is tricky-especially coming from a personal training background. If you want the cleanest, most sterile gym as well as the newest -- I pick Equinox in West Hollywood. The classes are superb and if you have over $130 a month to spend for a gym then its perfect. ( I personally LOVE David Barton Gym in New York and Miami but they are unfortunately not opening here until 2010 or 2011). Most likely you would find me working out at a personal training gym like Fitness Factory because I don't need all the frills. Get in, Get out -- that's my thing.

What are some great restaurants for a night out with gay friends there?

My favorite restaurants are Murano off Melrose, which is owned by Sandy Sachs and is amazing authentic Italian. She also has the best music playing making incredible ambiance. Another restaurant I like is Sur on Robertson. Sexy restaurant with a good food. Other restaurants you might want to try are BLD and Fat Fish.

Is there a particular best place to "people watch" that some people not familiar with L.A. would like?

The easiest place to just sit and watch people is at the Starbucks just west of LaCienega. On the weekends people just sit back and people watch outside. Some people even take their shirts off and just sit and sunbathe. If you want a different crowd, you could easily sit at The Grove at the Farmers Market, and you are bound to see everyone from celebrities to tourists walking in the Disney-themed outside mall.

Probably a ridiculous question, but are there any famous people from your town?

LOL. Well, i would have to say yes and the list would be too long to publish. I'm sure most of the celebrities you can imagine live here. I personally have worked with Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Perez Hilton "Queen of all Media."

What are your favorite gay bars and/or dance clubs? What do you like about them?

My favorite nights are usually dictated by the promoter. My favorite promoter is Tom Whitman. He does Smack at O-Bar on Thursdays -- slightly more dressed up and a great place to chill out and talk, Cherry Pop is his night at The Factory on Saturdays and has hot go go dancers, great music and definitely where you would want to dance, and my favorite is Size on Sundays at Here Bar -- starts in the afternoon -- amazing music, hot dancers and the crowd is usually very cute and its warm so everyone is showing some skin.

What are your favorite gay parties or events? What is the crowd or scene like at those places?

My favorite events would have to be Wonderland at Pride (last year Lady Gaga performed) and Probably the White Party, but more of the pool parties and t-dance. I don't go every year but its fun if you like to dance and don't mind all the craziness. Other than that I prefer smaller parties like pool parties and hanging with friends. Easier and chill is always better for me.

Jd-jordan-2 Where is the best public place for a gay person to make out in L.A.?

In their home, but if you are a big fan of PDA then pick a cabana at the Abbey and kiss the one you are with. If you want to pick an amazing place to make out during the day -- then I say to hike up Runyan Canyon and when you reach the top there is large bench with views of the ENTIRE city. I think it can be romantic if if you are a bit sweaty.

What is the gay community like for those who have never been to Los Angeles? Do you consider yourself to be part of any particular "scene"?

I don't consider my self part of any scene. I like that I can go to MJ's in Silverlake which is considered more alternative and edgy, and then next night go out to Cherry Pop which is more young and trendy. LA is chill that way.

Do gay men and lesbians hang out in the same places, or is that still a ridiculous notion?!

The only place is I have ever gone with gay and lesbians completely cool with each other is The Abbey -- almost any day or night or Pride once a year. I love lesbians and I actually have had some of the most fun at lesbian nights but I guess the blending of the two doesn't always mesh well.

Are you involved with any LGBT community organizations there? Which ones? What do you like about those groups?

I am not part of any LGBT organizations but I commend anyone who is taking an active part in changing the community. Even writing this I feel like I personally need to be accountable and get involved. I support my friends in fundraisers for APLA but a little is not enough.

Tell us about L.A. Pride Do you usually attend? What are the highlights for you? What do you like least about it?

We have a huge Pride Parade every year and a festival. I personally enjoy dancing outside with my friends and enjoying the festivities. I usually attend but I think we are getting to a point where we don't need just a single day anymore- I think we are everyday life . More and more gays are in the media and I commend Dustin Lance Black for his speech at the Oscars and taking that time to express how he and many of us feel.

Do you have a particular fashion style? Where do you shop for clothes?

I am a t-shirt and jeans guy. My favorite store to go to is LASC on Santa Monica Blvd. Alfredo who does the buying for the store does an amazing job of picking the hottest and most trendy clothes in the market. You can find everything for the best underwear and swim suits to hot designer jeans and shoes.

Hollywoodbowl Where do you go for other forms of entertainment -- live theater, concerts, movies, art exhibits? Are there any local gay performance groups, bands, or artists that you're a fan of?

I love, love, love, live music. So check out what is playing at the Hollywood Bowl off of Highland. The Grove has one of the busiest nicest theatres in it as well as some good old fashion shopping, ie Apple Store, Nordstroms, Abercrombie and Gap. Check out MOMA, museum of modern art as well .They always have amazing exhibits... or The Getty Museum is a spectacular museum if you have never been.

If you had gay friends visiting from out of town for the first time, what are some "musts" that you'd recommend they see or do?

I would take newbies to LA to Runyan Canyon for a little exercise and the view at the top is to die for- plus you can see the Hollywood sign. We would definitely check out Hollywood and Highland where the Graumans Theatre is and where they have the Oscars at the Kodak Theatre. Good shopping on Robertson and Melrose and take them to Will Rogers Beach (also known as Ginger Rogers considering it is the gay beach).

What city (or cities) in America would you most like to visit next, and why? Are there any specific spots there (theaters, nightclubs, historic sites, etc.) that you'd really like to see?

I would love to see Seattle and Miami. Completely different but two locations I have never been too and always curious about. I have been lucky enough to travel all over the world but there is plenty in America I have not seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment