Tuesday 21 July 2009

Jackie Beat's Los Angeles

Jackie beat gay drag Name: Jackie Beat
Age: None of your business!
Profession: Superstar
City: Los Angeles, CA
Relationship Status: Single
Sexuality: Depends on who's asking.

What gym do you like most in Los Angeles? Why?
Do I look like I go to a gym? I can tell you all my favorite bakeries, if you're interested...

What are some great restaurants for a romantic gay date in Los Angeles? What about these restaurants appeals to you?
I am all alone in this world, so go ask Lance Bass this question!

Where is the best public place for a gay person to make out in Los Angeles?
Not the men's room in the Beverly Hills park where George Michael was arrested! Again, this bitter, lonely spinster in the wrong person to ask. I remember when safe sex meant the alley we were in had a street light. And the fact that we could be caught at any moment by a horse drawn carriage coming down the cobblestone street just added to the illicit thrill.

What are some of the things you love most about Los Angeles?
I love that I can hop in my car and go wherever I want. I also love living in a beautiful house with a big backyard -- not a tiny, roach-infested shoe box like when I lived in another big city that shall remain nameless, but the name rhymed with Yew Nork.

Jackie beat planetout gay What are some of your least favorite things about Los Angeles?

The drive-by shootings can be a bit annoying. Seriously, I despise the mentality of people once they are in their cars. They are rude and in a hurry and have a sense of entitlement. Hey, we're all in this together -- traffic sucks -- so just tune to the light jazz station, take a deep breath and get over yourself.

What are some great restaurants for a night out with gay friends in Los Angeles?

Mexico City is a really good, hip place for Mexican food (of course) and lunch at the new vegan hotspot Flore' is excellent. I'm a big fan of Ethiopian food, so a drive to Little Ethiopia is a must. My favorite place is called Nyala. Another great idea for a bunch of friends is Maurice's Snack and Chat for comforting but fattening soul food. And speaking of soul food, Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles is just ridiculously good. My very favorite place for large parties is Cobra's and Matadors, super chic and trendy tapas. Everything's good, but the lentils are amazing. They are crispy and crunchy and made with smokey bacon. Oh God, I have to go there.

What are your favorite gay bars and/or dance clubs in Los Angeles? What do you like about them?
Fubar is a great place. There's something different going on every night of the week, but my pal Mario Diaz's party Big Fat Dick on Thursdays is always packed and fun, fun, fun. As a performer, I seldom go out, so I am not an authority on nightlife. But my show 'Here's Jackie!' at here Lounge every Monday is also always a good bet.

What are your favorite gay parties or events in Los Angeles, if any? What is the crowd or scene like at those places?
Jackie beat gay city guide Sunset Junction is fun, but it has become a bit mainstream and material. It started out as a street festival where everyone from the neighborhood -- Mexican families, leather queens, and tattooed rocker fags -- could mingle and have a good time. They have food and art and bands and it's just a lot of fun. Now they charge to get in and, like everything, it has become very commercial. But it's still fun.

What is the gay community like in Los Angeles? Do you consider yourself to be part of any particular "scene"?
Los Angeles is very spread out. While there are cool people in WeHo, there are also a bunch of overly-tanned gymbots with their eyebrows tweezed into submission and way too much lip gloss on. I will never understand how the drag-queen-on-her-day-off look became fashionable for gay men. I prefer Silver Lake and more creative parts of the city. Assimilating is not and has never held any attraction to me. I miss the gay ghetto. I am special, I do not want to fit in.

Are you involved with any LGBT community organizations in Los Angeles? Which ones? What do you like about those groups?
Not really, but I am proud to help sodomites, carpet-munchers and fag hags escape from their hateful boring lives through the lost art of live singing and improv comedy. It's a very noble profession.

What do you think of the annual LGBT pride celebration in Los Angeles? Do you usually attend? What are the highlights for you? What do you like least about it?
I hate it. The entertainment is a bunch of 'famous' people like 'American Idol' rejects and other reality TV stars. There are very few, if any, drag queens and no cool rock bands. The people who put Pride together are either old or clueless or both. They seem far more concerned with not offending anyone than actually making the event fun.

Do you have a particular fashion style? Where do you shop for clothes?
I get all my stage outfits at Big & Bitter.

Where do you go for other forms of entertainment -- live theater, concerts, movies, art exhibits? Are there any local gay performance groups, bands, or artists that you're a fan of?
I am a huge fan of myself. People can see where and when I am performing by going to my website: www.JackieBeatRules.com.

If you had gay friends visiting from out of town for the first time, what are some "musts" that you'd recommend they see or do?
You have to walk around Hollywood. Check out all the terrible touristy things to do like Grauman's Chinese Theater and The Walk of Fame. Like N.Y.C.'s Times Square, this area is not as fun as it used to be before it was cleaned up and made more acceptable for visitors. But there is still plenty of tragedy and pathos to witness. You can have your photo taken with one of the sweaty people who dress up like Superman or Marilyn Monroe or Charlie Chaplin. The poor dears, they are the flip side of the Hollywood dream. The Graveline Tour is fun, pointing out all the important places and gruesome details of famous people who were murdered, etc. Yeah, Aunt Helen will love that.

What city (or cities) in America would you most like to visit next, and why? Are there any specific spots there (theaters, nightclubs, historic sites, etc.) that you'd really like to see?
I have always wanted to go to Japan. That's why I wrote the song 'Youth In Asia' for my band, Dirty Sanchez. I thought maybe it would lead to a show in Japan, but so far they haven't called! Herro, herro!?

No comments:

Post a Comment