Tuesday 21 July 2009

Queer LA with Peter Paige

Peter paige gay Name: Peter Paige
Age: Really? 39, just turned.
Profession: Actor/writer/director -- honest to God
City: Los Angeles
Relationship Status: Alas...
Sexuality: Gay

If you had gay friends visiting from out of town for the first time, what are some "musts" that you'd recommend they see or do?

I find L.A. a tricky town to visit, but you gotta hit the Getty, LACMA, MOCA, the beach, Silver Lake for some people watching, and Melrose (west of Fairfax, mostly) for some shopping.

What are some of the things you love most about Los Angeles?

I love the access. L.A. is one of those world-class cities with everything imaginable -- entertainment, culture (I swear), art, great food, and good nightlife. You just have to know where to find it.

What are some of your least favorite things about Los Angeles?

I think L.A. can be a lonely town, for sure. We're all so isolated, driving around in our cars, and spread out over such a wide area. It's one of those places where it is very important to be surrounded by good people. It's a great city to live in, but it can be a tough place to visit.

Peter paige queer 2 What are some great restaurants for a night out with gay friends in Los Angeles?

Oh, God. Let's see. Mexico City, Canale in Atwater Village, Cobras and Matadors, Hatfield's, and Buddha's Belly. The Wood Ranch at the Grove (God, those ribs are good -- and the sweet potatoes, yum).

What are some great restaurants for a romantic gay date in Los Angeles? What about these restaurants appeals to you?

My favorite date place is a little wine bar on Vine called 'Lou'. It's sexy, intimate, has great food, and a great wine list. Blair's in Silverlake and Taste on Melrose.

What are your favorite gay bars and/or dance clubs in Los Angeles? What do you like about them?

I don't go out much, but when I do, a drink at East-West Lounge or Akbar suits me just fine. There's a new place on Santa Monica Blvd. called 'Felix' that's fun and sexy.

Do you have a particular fashion style? Where do you shop for clothes?

Peter paige queer as folk I like to think my fashion sense is ever-changing. I'm very much an actor that way -- what mood am I in today, you know? Powerful, easy-going, naughty? Classy, slutty, guy next door? Some combination of the above? I shop everywhere. I love the thrift stores in L.A., and am not above picking up a pair of shorts at Old Navy. But honestly, I've got more clothes than any one person needs -- than any family needs -- so I'm trying to reign in the shopping habit.

Where do you go for other forms of entertainment -- live theater, concerts, movies, art exhibits? Are there any local gay performance groups, bands, or artists that you're a fan of?

All of the above. It's what I was saying about L.A.; there's everything you could wish for -- you just have to go and find it. There's some really exciting new theatre going on here ( who would have thought?) and great galleries, museums, and of course, this is the movie capital of the world, so there's always something to see. As far as concerts go, I saw REM at the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks ago -- my writing partner Brad Bredeweg and I just set up a movie with Michael's production company, Single Cell -- and am seeing George Michael Wednesday - I'm a lucky boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment