Saturday 26 September 2009

AfterElton eight favorite bisexuals ever.

Since 1999, Celebrate Bisexuality Day has been observed on September 23rd. In light of the occasion, AfterElton had honor our bisexual brothers by making a list of their favorite male switch hitters ever. It was hard narrowing this down to just eight, so if there's someone you particularly admire who wasn't included here, please be sure and mention them in the comments.

1. Michael Stipe

Michael Stipe officially came forward about his sexuality in 1994, when he described himself as "an equal opportunity lech." Stipe has said he doesn't define himself as gay, straight, or bisexual, but that he was attracted to and had relationships with both men and women.

2. Alexander the Great

Alexander III of Macedon lived from 356–323 BC. He might have married Roxanne and fathered a child with her, but his greatest relationship was with lifelong friend Hephaestion, and towards the end of his life he fell madly in love with a eunuch named Bagoas.

3. Alan Cumming

Alan Cumming was married to Hilary Lyon from 1985 to 1993. He was married in a civil ceremony in 2007 to graphic artist Grant Shaffer. Oasis magazine once asked Cumming why he preffered "bisexual" over other possible labels such as gay, straight, or pansexual. Here's his reply:

"I just think I haven't closed myself off and I never close myself off to the possibility of experience and the possibility of attraction. So, even now that I have a husband, who's a man (laughs), I still find lots of people attractive. Some of them are women. I've just never understood ... well, I can understand, but I don't agree with gay men who are completely horrified by a woman, or the idea of sex with a woman, or the idea of a woman's genitals. That's just not been me. In a way, I think it's wrong to close your mind off."

4. Jai Rodriguez

Queer Eye's culture guy spoke with AfterElton.com back in 2006 and here's what he had to say about his orientation...

AfterElton: Is the fact you identify as bisexual ever an issue for fans? Are you still bi?
Jai Rodriguez:
Hmmm… I consider myself gay because at the end of the night, that's who I want to cuddle with. But when I go out, I go to straight clubs. And occasionally in Page 6 they will report some lady fun I've had. But, I have no apologies. Yes, I've had sex with a woman. Will I be straight? Never going to happen. I'm sure it's an issue for some gays, but it's who I am.

5. Billie Joe Armstrong

Armstrong identified himself as bisexual in a 1995 interview with The Advocate:

"I think I've always been bisexual. I mean, it's something that I've always been interested in. I think people are born bisexual, and it's just that our parents and society kind of veer us off into this feeling of 'Oh, I can't.' They say it's taboo. It's ingrained in our heads that it's bad, when it's not bad at all. It's a very beautiful thing."

6. Brad Davis

Davis sadly died in 1991 from an intentional drug overdose after a six year battle with AIDS. He left behind a wife and daughter, though Boze Hadleigh's book Hollywood Gays includes an interview with Davis in which he acknowledges having had sex with men. When asked if he considered himself bisexual, he replied "didn't someone once say that everyone's bisexual, deep down?"

7. Gregg Araki

Araki self-identified as gay until 1997, when he began a two-year relationship with actress Kathleen Robertson. Bisexuality is a theme in many of his films.

8. Leonard Bernstein

The celebrated composer and conductor was reportedly bisexual during his early years in New York. He married in 1951 (on the advice of a mentor who felt it would enhance his professional prospects.)

No comments:

Post a Comment